The History of Compensation Claims
16th September 2014
Compensation is by no means a new thing and delving into the past of personal injury claims throws up some pretty spectacular and downright silly attempts to pursue compensation. What makes some of them even more bizarre is that a portion of them were actually accepted and compensation awarded!
Origins of a Compensation Culture
Many people are quick to blame our friends in the USA for the growing compensation culture over here in the UK, but evidence of claims dating back as far as the 19th century should be enough to dispel that myth. Insurance companies have been around in one form or another for hundreds of years and are quite familiar with strange claims.
Below is an example of just some of the wacky claims made by our forefathers, which should put your mind at rest if you were beginning to think your claim seemed a little out of the ordinary.
- In 1887, a greengrocer slipped whilst enjoying a game of blind man’s bluff. This clumsy fellow successful netted £15, which in today’s currency would amount to around £724.
- At a wedding in 1892, a man was injured during the traditional rice throwing and was awarded a generous £50 which translates as £2994 today.
- It was not a good day in this 19th century household when a man hurt himself leaping from his bed in an attempt to catch his fainting wife. However, I am sure things looked much brighter when the husband came home with a £42 pay-out, which would be £2575 today.
- One of the largest pay-outs of the time must have been the £1000 paid to an innkeeper that mistook poison for medicine. This sum would be a whopping £48,300 in today’s money.
- A Welsh artist who took a tumble after being blown by a gust of wind was awarded £30 in 1886 which would be £1796 today.
- Talk about ironic – a travelling salesman was injured whilst watching another accident take place. His knock to the head got him £7 in 1904 which would be £401 today.
- Whoever said fruit was good for your health had obviously not just slipped on a banana peel. A chap who did managed to win £156 in 1900. This would be £8901 today.
If you require more up-to-date information about how much compensation you could be awarded contact us on 08000 430 430. Our dedicated legal team can help you begin your claim and can guide you through the entire process. Take advantage of our No Win, No Fee services and don’t pay a penny. Our fee will be collected separately from your damages and if your case is unsuccessful, you will not pay us anything. Our personal injury solicitors know exactly how to obtain the compensation you deserve and are on hand to answer any questions you may have. No matter how irrelevant or bizarre you think your claim may be, if you were injured by somebody else’s actions you could be able to make a personal injury claim.
What we do
Among our exclusive services we provide:
- Meetings anywhere in the UK
- Home and hospital appointments
- Out of hours appointments
- Frequent face-to-face meetings with highly-qualified and experienced solicitors
- A free initial consultation to assess your case
Personal injury cases require a vast amount of legal knowledge in specific areas of law. This is why it is important to be represented by solicitors with the relevant experience to your case. To find out more, simply call 08000 430 430 today. Alternatively, complete the online contact form and one of our legal team will be in touch as soon as possible.