d f

Claim compensation for tripping over clothes in a department store

Question: I was shopping in a department store when I tripped over clothes that had fallen on the floor and were obstructing an aisle. I hit my head against a rail and suffered a head injury. How do I claim compensation?

Answer: To start claiming compensation, speak with Clearwater Solicitors by dialling 08000 430 430 or filling in our online enquiry form to get in touch with one of our experts. It sounds like the department store failed in its duty of care towards its customers by failing to keep its walkways clear of obstructions, which indicates that you should be able to make a personal injury claim.

If you took photographs of the clothes you tripped over or the names and contact details of anyone who witnessed the incident, you can use this evidence to support your compensation claim. If you receive medical treatment at the scene, you should still go to hospital or the doctors surgery to have your head injuries examined – not only will this ensure you receive the treatment you need, but it will also provide good evidence in your compensation claim. You must report the accident to staff at the department store it occurred in and ask them to record the incident in the accident book. Then, ask for a copy of this accident book report, as they may be reluctant to provide a copy when you start claiming compensation.

All department stores, including Lakeland, House of Fraser, Selfridges, John Lewis, Debenhams and Harvey Nichols, must take all reasonable steps to ensure the health and safety of their customers and employees. This involves keeping a clean, tidy store and removing any trip hazards such as dropped clothing before an accident occurs. When they are negligent towards this duty, they can be liable in department store tripping accident compensation claims.

To find out more about making a compensation claim, to start claiming today, or to discuss your case with professional, independent legal advisors, just speak to Clearwater Solicitors. Dial 08000 430 430 or fill in our online enquiry form to get started.