s The Most Experienced Personal Injury & Family Law Firm UK logo

Simply clear and straight forward advice from our team of industry experts

Call Clearwater Solicitors today to start your case

Claiming compensation for slipping on ice outside a DIY store

Get In Touch Today

Question: I slipped on ice outside a DIY store and broke my arm – can I make a  compensation claim?

Answer: You may be able to make a compensation claim after suffering an arm injury slipping on ice outside a DIY store, but the accident must have occurred on property owned by the DIY store. DIY and furniture stores, such as Wickes, Homebase, B&Q, Argos, Currys and Maplin, share the same duty of care toward their employees and customers as every other retailer, and must take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure avoidable accidents do not occur on their premises. This will involve gritting car parks and entrances to prevent the floors from becoming dangerously icy, and preventing access to any areas that pose a danger to people.

However, this does not mean that DIY and furniture stores are responsible for every accident that occurs on their premises. For instance, if frost falls overnight and you slip on it in the early morning, it could be argued that the furniture or DIY store could not reasonably have been expected to have gritted the floors before the accident occurred, but if the ground has been icy for a while, the company could be deemed to have behaved in a negligent fashion.

There are a number of things you can do to support your compensation claim. You should tell the DIY store about the accident, ask them to keep a record of your report in the accident book, and request a copy of this report. You should also take photographs of the icy patch you slipped on and take down the names and telephone numbers of anyone who witnessed the accident.

Do not accept any gift vouchers or cash from the retailer, as the value of your claim could be worth considerably more than this initial offer. Instead, visit a doctor to have your injuries looked at, and contact Clearwater Solicitors to start making a compensation claim. Just dial 08000 430 430 or fill in our simple online enquiry form to get started.

Our Latest News