s The Most Experienced Personal Injury & Family Law Firm UK logo

Simply clear and straight forward advice from our team of industry experts

Call Clearwater Solicitors today to start your case

Claim compensation after tripping over in a furniture store

Get In Touch Today

Question: I was shopping in Homebase when I tripped over a bed, hurting my knee badly. Can I make a compensation claim?

Answer: You may be able to make a compensation claim for tripping in a furniture store. The circumstances of the accident and the extent of your injury will determine whether or not you are eligible to make a claim.

Homebase and other furniture stores have a duty of care towards their customers and their employees, and must do everything reasonably practicable to prevent accidents from occurring in their premises. This will include taking reasonable steps to prevent trips over beds and other furniture. This means if Homebase is entirely to blame for the accident, you will be able to make a compensation claim and recover all your losses. If it is deemed that you were partially responsible for the incident, then you can still make a claim, although your ‘contributory negligence’ will affect the size of your settlement.

You should visit a doctor to have your injuries assessed. If you hurt your knee badly, it sounds like you should be able to make a Homebase accident claim if it can be shown the company behaved negligently, but you might not be able to claim for very mild injuries. Report the accident to Homebase and ask for a copy of the accident book report. If possible, photograph the item of furniture you tripped over and anything else that led to the accident, as this could support your compensation claim. You will want to speak with personal injury claims solicitors as soon as possible to discuss the specifics of your claim. There is a three-year statute of limitations on furniture store compensation claims, but making a claim at the earliest possible moment will help you gather evidence and ensure the process runs as smoothly as possible.

Speak with Clearwater Solicitors for professional advice and assistance. Just fill in our online enquiry form to request a call back, or call us on 08000 430 430 to speak with an advisor.

Our Latest News