s The Most Experienced Personal Injury & Family Law Firm UK logo

Simply clear and straight forward advice from our team of industry experts

Call Clearwater Solicitors today to start your case

Claim compensation for slipping on a wet floor in a department store

Get In Touch Today

Question: I was in Marks and Spencer when I slipped on a wet floor that had just been cleaned, landing badly and fracturing my elbow. There were warning signs, but they were hidden behind a display. Is it possible for me to make a compensation claim?

Answer: It sounds like you may be able to claim compensation against Marks and Spencer – contact Clearwater Solicitors for more information. Although the department store put up a warning sign to inform customers that the floor was wet, the hazardous floor was still accessible and the warning sign was not obvious, indicating that Marks and Spencer or its employees were negligent in their duty of care towards their customers. When this negligence leads to avoidable personal injuries, the company can be liable to pay compensation to the victim.

Cleaning procedures should be done in a safe and efficient way, ensuring that the public and employees of the store are not put at needless risk. This might involve risk assessments, staff training and proper management systems. If you have been injured in a slip at a department store and want to claim compensation, if possible, you should take photographs of the area you slipped in and the wet floor that caused you to lose your footing.  Photograph the location of any warning signs as well, as take down the names and telephone numbers of any witnesses.

It is understandable if you are unable to do so – for instance, you may require immediate medical attention – but doing so can provide evidence of the retailer’s negligence. You should also report the accident to Marks and Spencer and ask for a copy of their accident book report. Yo u can do this in the days and weeks following the accident, although it is best to do it as soon as possible.

Visit a doctor to have your injuries recorded in your medical records, and contact Clearwater Solicitors to make a department store compensation claim. Call 08000 430 430 or fill in our online enquiry form to speak with us today.

Our Latest News