The most common cause of accidents at work is slipping accidents. Employers have a legal duty to provide a safe workplace without hazards which may cause an employee to slip. If your employer or through the action or inaction of their employees fails in this legal duty you could be entitled to compensation.
You can start your compensation claim by calling 08000 430 430 or completing the online enquiry form and we will call you back.
Causes of Slipping Accident at Work
There are many different reasons which cause slipping accidents at workplace. The most common causes include:-
- Slipping due to a wet surface,
- Slipping due to a contaminated surface with oil or grease,
- Inappropriate shoes for the walkway,
- Slipping on rainwater or snow which should have been cleared,
- Shopping bags, wrappers or papers left on the workplace walkways,
- Poor lighting,
- Slipping due to fruit skins e.g. banana skin or orange peels.
Injuries Caused by Slipping Accidents at Work
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reports indicate slipping accidents are the cause of most accidents at work. Potential injuries from slipping include:-
- Minor or serious sprains,
- Head and brain damage,
- Back injury,
- Leg and arm injury,
- Serious fractures,
- Broken bones,
Employer’s Obligation to Keep Walkways Clean
Your employer should eliminate all possible risks which may cause their employee to slip. Employer should take precautionary measures to reduce risks of slips by making sure:-
- Carry out risks assessments of the workplace to identify and reduce slipping accidents
- Ensure the workplace is in a good state of repair thereby reducing the chance of leaks from pipes, walls or the roof
- Quickly cleaning surfaces which pose a risk e.g. spils and liquids, oils and greasy substances or spreading salt, sand or grit on walk ways
- Provide appropriate personal protective equipment like anti slip foot wear,
- Install anti slip flooring or mats, handrails, anti slip stairs and steps.
- Maintain anti slip walkways and stairs
- Ensure employees are trained so that if they create a hazard e.g. spill or drop an item, it is cleaned immediately and place warning signs until the walkway is dry,
- Provide proper lighting in the workplace to improve visibility.
If your employer or one of your coworkers fails in their duty you could be entitled to claim compensation.
Slipping Accident Claim
If you have sustained an injury as a result of a slipping accident at work you could be entitled to compensation. You can claim for:-
- Pain and discomfort
- Expenses e.g. loss of earnings, medical treatment and travel expenses.
We can help you receive the compensation you deserve. Speak to one of our expert legal adviser about your slipping injury case by calling 08000 430 430 or you can also complete our online enquiry form to receive a call back.