Apprentice, 17, Falls From Ladder After Electric Shock In Workplace Accident
11th September 2013
A 17-year old apprentice engineer fell from a ladder after sustaining an electric shock in a workplace accident, Dartford Magistrates’ Court heard on August 29th.
Kenard Engineering Company admitted breaching the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 at the hearing and was fined £10,000 with costs of £1,981.
The accident at work occurred on June 15th 2012, when the apprentice was helping to move a crane. He was plugging computer equipment into a cable tray socket when he recoiled after being hit by electricity, falling three metres to the floor. He suffered numbness in the lower back and a herniated disc, but has been able to return to work.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the firm had failed to implement safe working systems, as it had not ensured the employee was competent for the task he was doing.
HSE inspector Rob Hassell explained Kenard Engineering could have avoided the accident at work by ensuring three-phase electrics and other electrical work was performed by qualified members of staff.
Accident At Work Compensation Claims
If you’ve been injured in an accident at work, claim compensation with Clearwater Solicitors! Your employer has a duty of care towards you, and if they fail to uphold this duty, they can be liable in workplace accident claims.
Workplace Accident Claim
Make a workplace accident compensation claim today by dialling 08000 430 430. Alternatively, just fill in our online enquiry form and we will get back in touch with you.